Home - Cheap Wine and Cookies Main Page ............. Ethical Eating

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Healthy Surprise Brownies

      I originally posted this recipe back in 2009, and have made it a number of times since, but haven't yet updated the recipe.  These days, I add even more spinach and use organic and local (when available) veggies in the recipe.  Next time I make these from scratch, I'll be sure to update this with a step-by-step.  In the meantime, here is the original post from March 17th, 2009:


 

Made brownies with Punky last night, and they friggin rock - AND they have spinach and carrots in them! Why, what did you think they had in them? Haha.
The recipe was an experiment based on a similar recipe I read. I just used a box of Betty Crocker Low Fat Brownie mix, left out the water, and substituted in ½ a cup of pureed spinach and ½ a cup of pureed carrots.
Punky was a little incredulous at first. "Didn't you know brownies had spinach in them?" I asked.
"So - chocolate is healthy?"
"It is if it has spinach in it."
I let her lick the spoon as proof. You couldn't taste the spinach at all. I didn't try them when they were warm, but cooled off, there isn't a trace of spinach (or carrot) taste - but it's in there! Rock.
Next time, I'm going to make the brownie mix from scratch with whole wheat flour.

No comments: