Home - Cheap Wine and Cookies Main Page ............. Ethical Eating

Monday, January 2, 2012

Hot and Sour Veggies

       This was a great way to repurpose some of the cabbage left over from New Year's Eve.

       Ingredients:
       Approx 1/3 a heat of cabbage
       2 small zucchini
       2 carrots
       1 med onion
       2 big handfuls diced shitake mushrooms
3 cloves minced garlic 3 dried chili peppers, seeded and chopped 1/4 c organic low sodium veggie broth        2 tbsp white while vinegar
       1 tbsp fermented black bean sauce
1 tbsp ground ginger        1 tsp sugar
       1 tbsp sesame oil

First, I chopped the onion and set it aside. Next, I shredded the cabbage, and slice the zucchini and carrots - a task for which I highly recommend use of a mandolin. Love that thing! In a very hot wok with about a tbsp of grapeseed oil and roughly 1/2 c of water, I stir fried the veggies for about 3 minutes until they'd jsut started to soften but were still crisp. I set aside the veggies and put a bit more grapeseed oil in the wok. I added the rest of the ingredients and sautéed for about 3 minutes before adding the veggies back in and mixing it all up. Finally, I used a little bit of roux made from 1 tbsp whole wheat flour and 2 tbsp water to thicken the sause. In the meantime, MacGyver made his amazing sticky sushi rice with wakame (seaweed). I don't know the recipe for this, but it's delicious ;-) Let me know if you try this one. It was really good! Oh, and I substituted hoisin sauce for the black bean sauce because I couldn't find any.

No comments: